Senior Internal IT Technician
JOB TITLE: Senior Internal IT Technician
REPORTING TO: Willem Olivier
UNIT/GROUP: Internal IT
OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB:
Ensure all Internal Information Technology systems and applications are maintained and kept operational as per the Group Policies, Procedures and Standards.
- Maintenance and support of all internal IT that covers:
- server administration to ensure they function properly, backups are made, and restoration can be done where required,
- system patching,
- specialist knowledge of applications that include the range of MS Server Suites such as 2012 and 2016 etc. and MS Office, Full Suite of Office 365, Windows, Skype, Outlook and
- configuration and deployment of Office 365 Exchange and other solutions,
- configuration and maintenance of DNS, DHCP, Active Directory and SQL Server,
- set up and troubleshooting of firewalls, switches and routers (working knowledge)
- troubleshoot network and connectivity problems in internal networks as well as with fibre and wireless service providers (working knowledge),
- set up and configure e-mail in Outlook,
- install and implement desktop and notebook computers on Windows Active Directory domains,
- password management on a password manager as well as the administration of passwords to ensure backup of passwords are kept in the battle boxes (Midrand and Randburg Offices),
- desktop and notebooks as well as their applications,
- set up and troubleshooting of printers,
- systems: SAP, VIP, Oracle and other (know how to interact with suppliers who will be the SME leads on the systems),
- knowledge of other general applications that may be required on desktops and notebooks (understand what the applications do, how to install them and configure them – ability to learn new applications),
- rebuild a server, desktop or notebook from a bare metal state,
- setup of computers onto the network,
- removal of malware and virus infections,
- assembly and repair of computers, notebooks and server hardware,
- troubleshooting of all the above systems, applications and computers,
- interaction with third party suppliers to resolve issue, build and configure new systems and computers.
- Completion of all relevant documentation relating to the incident management process, time sheets (if applicable) weekly reporting and management reports.
- Interaction with the Service Desk to monitor incidents, provide feedback on incidents and closure of incidents.
- Attendance of test forum meetings.
- Attendance of meetings in which internal IT is required.
- Solid trouble shooting and problem-solving skills.
- Working in teams.
- Ability to work under pressure and extended hours.
- Working knowledge of LAN/WAN infrastructures.
- Work with the ContinuitySA Cloud and Communications teams to ensure IT infrastructure stability.
- Interaction with Dimension Data and Internet solutions to ensure Dimension Data Group alignment to policies, procedures and standards where applicable. This will include meetings in person at the Dimension Data Campus and or other Suppliers
- Internal: ContinuitySA staff
- External: Suppliers, Dimension Data & Internet Solutions
OTHER FEATURES OF THE JOB:
- Individual will be required to work after hours when required.
- Standby as per standby roster.
- Individual will be required to travel to other sites if required (Randburg, Durban, Cape Town, Mozambique & Botswana)
- Weekend work may be required based on maintenance such as patching / client tests / invocations / projects.
- Exposure to a wide variety of technologies and business processes.
- Individual will be based at Unit 5 Growth Point Park, Midrand. (From mid 2019 to include Waterfall Estate).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and COMPETENCIES:
- Microsoft Server 2012 / 2016 Operating Systems
- Windows 7, 10 etc.
- Microsoft Applications
- Active directory, DHCP and DNS
- Ghost/Altiris deployment software
- Windows Update Services (WSUS)
- VMWare – ESX / VCenter
- SANs – EMC
- Symantec Backup Exec / NETBackup
- Networking – HP / Cisco
- Networking – WiFi setup and configuration
- Dell Desktops / Notebooks / Servers
- HP Servers / ILO
- Fibre connectivity / switching
- Good overall understanding of ICT landscape and infrastructure
MINIMUM EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE REQUIRED BY INCUMBENT:
- Matric Certification
- 8+ Years’ experience
- MCITP/ MCSE
- A+ and N+ Qualifications
OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE BY INCUMBENT:
- Valid driver’s license
- No criminal record
CANDIDATE PROFILE and ABILITIES:
- Good inter-personal skills.
- Good active listening skills.
- Good organisation and time management skills.
- Good ability to keep track of several activities.
- Ability to perform unsupervised.
- Ability to communicate on a senior level to Executives as well as a technical audience.
- Must be able to perform under pressure.
- Professional and presentable.
- Excellent communication skills in English (both written and verbal)
- Well organised and have a systematic approach to problem solving
- Have attention to detail, quality and accuracy
- Deadline driven